Books for Bankers and Bank Directors
These are books I have read entirely or substantially.
Expect future blogs to include reviews of some of these.
Please send suggestions for books and other reading to add to this list.
On Banking and Finance History
- The Founders and Finance, Thomas K. McCraw, 2012 The Belknap Press of Harvard University Press
- This Time is Different, Carmen M. Reinhart and Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009 Princeton University Press
- Lords of Finance, Liaquat Ahamed, 2009 Penguin Press
- Panic, Michael Lewis, 2009 W.W. Norton &Co., Ltd.
- The Ascent of Money, Niall Ferguson, 2008 The Penguin Books
- The Panic of 1907, Robert F. Bruner and Sean D. Carr, 2007 John Wiley & Sons
- Dead Bank Walking, Richard H. Smith, 2000 Oakhill Press
- Citicorp: The Story of a Bank in Crisis, Richard Miller, 1993 McGraw-Hill Inc.
- A Dangerous Fortune (fiction), Ken Follett, 1993 Dell
- The Troubled Money Business, Richard D. Crawford and William W. Sihler, 1991 HarperCollins Publishers
- Breaking the Bank, Gary Hector, 1988 Little, Brown and Company
- Secrets of the Temple, William Greider, 1987 Simon & Schuster Inc.
- A History of Modern Banks of Issue, Charles A. Conant, 1915 G.P. Putnam's Sons
- Banking, William A. Scott, 1914 A.C. McClurg & Co.
- The Hour Between Dog and Wolf, John Coates, 2012 the Penguin Press
- The Most Important Thing, Howard Marks, 2011 Columbia University Press
- Realism in Lending, P. Henry Mueller and William W. Sihler, 2011 The Risk Management Association
- Smart Growth, Edward D. Hess, 2010 Columbia Business School Publishing
- The Intelligent Investor, Benjamin Graham updated with commentary by Jason Zweig, 2003 Harper Business Essentials
- The New Financial Order, Robert J. Shiller, 2003 Princeton University Press
- The Intelligent Asset Allocator, William Bernstein, 2000 McGraw-Hill
- Against the Gods: The Remarkable Story of Risk, Peter L. Bernstein, 1996 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
On the Financial Crisis
- The Lost Bank: The Story of Washington Mutual, Kirsten Grind, 2012 Simon & Schuster
- Bull by the Horns, Sheila Bair, 2012 Free Press
- The Financial Crisis and the Free Market Cure, John A. Allison, 2012 McGraw Hill
- What Caused the Financial Crisis, Edited by Jeffrey Friedman, 2011 University of Pennsylvania Press
- Reckless Endangerment, Gretchen Morgenson and Joshua Rosner, 2011 Times Books
- The Financial Crisis Inquiry Report, majority and two dissenting opinions, 2011
- Senseless Panic, William M. Isaac, 2010 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Chain of Blame, Paul Muolo and Mathew Padilla, 2010 John Wiley & Sons
- Freefall, Joseph E. Stiglitz, 2010 W.W. Norton & Co., Ltd.
- All the Devils are Here, Bethany McLean and Joe Nocera, 2010 Portfolio/Penguin
- Crash of the Titans, Greg Farrell, 2010 Crown Business
- The Great Financial Crisis, John Bellamy Foster and Fred Magdoff, 2009 Monthly Review Press
- Too Big to Fail, Andrew Sorkin, 2009 Viking
- The Sellout, Charles Gasparino, 2009 HarperCollins
On Macroeconomics and Markets
- Crisis Economics: A Crash Course in the Future of Finance, Nouriel Roubini and Stephen Mihm, 2010 The Penguin Press
- The Holy Grail of Macroeconomics: Lessons from Japan's Great Recession, Richard C. Koo, 2009 Wiley
- The Myth of the Rational Market, Justin Fox, 2009 Harper
- When Markets Collide, Mohamed El-Erian, 2008 McGraw Hill
- Deflation, A. Gary Shilling, 1999 McGraw-Hill
- The Road to Serfdom, F.A. Hayek, 1994 edition with introduction by Milton Friedman, The University Chicago Press
On the 100X Risk of Debt and Deficits
- Comeback America, David M. Walker, 2009 Random House
On 10X Risk
- Only the Paranoid Survive, Andrew S. Grove, 1996 Currency Doubleday